Thursday, June 26, 2014

Rockwell Relay, Part I

AN UNDERSTANDING

Alright, I am starting this with the intent of covering our team's race report for the 5th Annual Rockwell Relay race from Moab to St. George in Utah, all the while realizing that my teammates (hopefully) will have their own input into what they were thinking, and how the race went for them. I will also admit that, like my other write-ups, this will be a multi-parter. And, unless they say otherwise my insights will be an attempt to tell you what they were thinking at times even though they may not have actually said it themselves. But when you are the writer, you get to write whatever you want. So here goes...

LAST MINUTE CHANGE

So, it's Tuesday before the race. I have left work and gone home to get ready to leave the next morning for Utah. Mike calls and informs me that something has come up with Caleb and his ability to make the race appears gloomy. 

"Think we can get a fill-in?"

"Let me make a call," I replied. Hang up, call Bob. "Bob, this is Evan. We need a last minute fill-in for Caleb, can you make it?"

"Okay."

"Bob, here's the thing, you can ride out with myself, Mike, or Andrew, but we are all leaving in the morning. Will that work?"

"Can you take my bike?"

"Sure."

"Then I will fly out and meet you there on Thursday."

"Awesome. You can ride back with any of us. Should I come get the bike tonight?"

"Can I bring it to you tomorrow? I want to get another ride in tomorrow morning."

"Sure Bob, but the race is Friday, so you might want to rest." (Me knowing he had just ridden 25 miles and over 2600 ft of climbing that Tuesday morning already, and wanted to do the same thing the next morning. Also knowing that Bob has been riding some recently, but not really that much. Oh, and in case I didn't mention, Bob is 58 years old.)

"I don't operate that way."

And with Bob, you just smile and nod. Bob knows Bob, and Bob does what Bob wants. I have on good authority (my own opinion which is as good as gold) this is pretty much how Bob operates in life - how he wants.

That said, in a matter of two minutes our team was almost out and then back in full swing.

Side note: My write up will make some sort of attempt to describe each of the other riders (I'm not sure how much I will do of this, so we shall see how lazy I get), but let me just say Bob will be the funniest character of the trip. Hands down.

READY TO GO

Wednesday the rest of the team drive to St. George, drop off the family that came, and Thursday we drive out to Moab. Joining our team in the van was Andrew's dad, James. James was there to help drive and be our picture guy. (For this very reason we have some good pics, and our other team became somewhat jealous - as they should have.) The drive out was good. Andrew hadn't seen that part of the country before and was enjoying it. I mainly watched the clock to see when we would be there so we could get checked in at the motel, grab Bob and set him signed up.

As we are arriving in Moab, I get the text from Bob.

"Here. Hot."

A couple more details about Bob to better paint the picture of who he is, and why this is so funny. Bob is very smart. He has done very well professionally, and for fun he runs ultra marathons. That alone should help you to know Bob is a little crazy. Bob is also sort of a quite person, and when he speaks is very direct and concise. "Why use two words when one will do" sort of a guy. So when I get a text that says "Here. Hot." Us guys driving out all start laughing. And I am sure we all think, "Does he know what he is getting himself into?" As we later find out, kind of, but not really.

After getting Bob, and making him get new tires (his old tires looked like they came with his bike that he bought back in 2003 or 2004), we check in for the race, get some food, and head back to the rooms for the night.

(I will also point out here, that I was excited to meet Elden Nelson (aka the the Fat Cyclist) but got a little camera shy when I made my way over to his tent. I did briefly say hi, but that was it. In my defense, he did look very busy and I didn't mean to hold him up. So I was being nice without him noticing. That said, Fatty, if you ever roll across this write-up, thanks for your blog. Your previous years' postings really got me pumped and prepared (besides my lazy not riding enough) for the event. And with my enthusiasm got not one, but TWO Cyclng Nation teams to enter the race. One day we'll catch up. Alright, enough brown nosing.)

(Cyclng Nation Team 2 - Tyler, Mark, Duncan & Tyler
then
Cyclng Nation Team 1 - myself, Bob, Mike & Andrew)

No comments: